Monday, March 9, 2009

a fighting chance, part two

Kathleen was already sitting Indian-style at the head of her bed when Jeff looked up from carefully closing the door. She had messily pulled up her ebony hair and washed her face in an attempt to look less disheveled, but Jeff knew she felt otherwise. She didn’t make eye-contact with him, visibly gathering her composure.

“Kath ..are you alright? Can I get you something?”

“I’m fine, Jeff. What did you want?”

Jeff slowly eased onto the foot of the bed, careful not to disrupt her covers. He moved to cover her hand with his, but was immediately denied as Kath put her hand in her lap.

“I just wanted to make sure you were ok and make sure you understand how truly sorry I am. I left you five or ten messages..”

“I got them. I just .. I really think it’s over, Jeff. Your temper has always come between us and I’m tired of waiting for it to get better. I’m just tired.”

Jeff traced the roses on the bedspread as he listened to Kath tell him that it was over. The man in him wanted to just kiss her hard and move on, but he knew she didn’t work that way.

“I guess I was just waiting for the time when you would lose it, and you did. I know I’m to blame..”

“No, Kath. None of this is your fault. You’re right, I let my anger get the best of me.”

“You did. Your inability to control your rage is just …ridiculous.”

“Don’t you think what we have is worth fighting for? Don’t you think what we have is something?”

“We do, Jeff. We did, anyway.”

His mind went to the many nights he’d spent holding her trembling shoulders during her parents divorce six months earlier. How could he expect to win her heart when it still grasped the relationship she felt was inevitable for them?

“So, what do you say? Can we work it out?”

This time, he succeeded in holding her hand in his, stroking her fingers one-by-one. She closed her eyes, remembering the warmth of his bed during her last night there. She’d felt complete relaxation as he held her until leaving for work the next morning.

Jeff watched Kath recalling memory after memory, and knew he was closer to winning her back. He’d taken her devotion for granted, and now ached to have the whole of it back. The lines between her eye brows were relaxing, and her breathing was becoming more regular. Tasting his victory, Jeff’s heartbeat began slowing as well. Kath eased her hand out from under his and gently prodded her swollen cheek.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! You are such a good writer and I am truly captivated by these short entries. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm serious girly, it's really good! I'm excited to read more! These kind of situations always interest me and the way that you word everything and describe every little detail helps, because you can picture everything going on. You are so great! And I'm glad you got the invite! I don't really know what else I need, I just have the basics and I'm still new to this whole motherhood thing, but surprise me and I promise that I'll love it! Yay, I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also heart this: "Jeff traced the roses on the bedspread as he listened to Kath tell him that it was over."

    you have a couple of places where the point of view switch:

    Kathleen’s mind began wandering to all of the romantic things Jeff had done for her over the last three years. The candlelit dinners, brushing her hair out of her eyes during the endless nights talking, his strong hands holding her when her mother passed away the previous winter.

    She closed her eyes, remembering the warmth of his bed during her last night there. She’d felt complete relaxation as he held her until leaving for work the next morning.

    but i like what you have. and i heart you. :)

    ReplyDelete