Friday, September 5, 2008

rant..

Two Saturdays ago I went to a little family shindig with my parents and little brother. On the way back, we dropped off my Dad so he could bike the rest of the way home (he's recently gotten into the Lance Armstrong-ish thing).. Well, obviously, it took him a while to get home; what with traffic and needing to be at a safe distance from the cars and all. When he got home, before he headed up to take a shower, this is how their conversation went:

Mom: "Did you get a flat tire or something?"
Dad: "Yeah. I did."
Mom: "Oh, I'm sorry about that!"
Dad: .."You're not going to laugh?"
Mom: "No, why would I laugh at that?"
Dad: "Because you did last time that happened to me.."
Mom: "Oh, well I don't know why I would've done that. That would be rude!"
Dad: ..."Well, you did."
Mom: "Well, I'm sorry."

My first reaction was WTF?! .. But then I remembered that I do the exact same thing to Cody sometimes. I'm not perfect, and neither is he. So, when he gets after me for doing something I know he's done before, my first reaction is to remind him that he's done it before. Anyway, the overall mood for the rest of the evening was full of tension and I was really uncomfortable. I came home and listened to how much fun Cody had had with his buddies and when he asked what was wrong, I just started crying. When I explained it to him, he told me that I needed to write them a letter. Then it hit me.

Before I was married, I was effing scared of marriage because of their volatile relationship. Jeremy and I have always been put in the middle of their arguments when they ask, "What did I do wrong?" or "Don't ever act like that with your spouse". That's not fair! So, I did it. I wrote them a letter and this was the just of it: Their relationship isn't my business, but when they involve us and make us feel uncomfortable, it becomes our business. And we don't deserve it. I haven't talked to them about it yet, I was hoping to go out to eat with my Mom tonight and talk about it. But they had already had plans for their date night.

I think I had some other things I wanted to talk about, but because I recalled all of this to memory, I forgot. Thanks for reading my rant..Hopefully the next one will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment