Friday, August 22, 2008

Pikes Peak

At the summit, a blind man is purchasing a book with photos of the Pikes Peak train ride. I listen as the sales associate describes to him what is inside and my heart sinks. I assume he is buying it for the enjoyment of family and friends. Thinking of those who couldn't be with him on this trip; while his loyal companion waits patiently at his feet.
I've never been so grateful for my camera, snapping photo after photo of the breathtaking view atop this giant. It's hard, but I close my eyes. I touch the wet granite, smell the fog and rain, and taste the moist air. I open my eyes to find Cody heading toward the edge.
"I don't want my husband to be the first casualty in the history of this ride!" He laughs, and when he takes my hand, I follow him. Our fingers intertwined and I ease my way down finding it easier to scale than I had thought.
I snap a photo of a rain puddle in the rocks and I can feel the flood begin. Visions of my beautiful life..my wedding, my nephews, sunrise by the ocean, the first snowfall, his eyes. Where would I be if I couldn't see all of this?
The rain has started up again and, thanks to my lack of makeup, I welcome the tiny droplets on my face and eyelashes. It's so cold up here, nearly a 50 degree difference, but it's refreshing. The littlest effort results in short breath, the air is so thin here.
Hearing the horn, we turn toward the train. The most vibrant rainbow I've ever seen reveals itself from behind the safety of the clouds and fog. My fingers are frozen as I capture the last few glimpses of landscape. I look up to find the blind man being assisted back to his seat. Cody is chatting with our new friends as we make the steep decline back to Manitou Springs. Places to see in our native states are being exchanged, increasing my desire to head out east to explore. Annapolis, Chesapeak Bay, ghost tours in Frederick, Appalachian Mountains. One of the girls, is moving out west for a job. What is fun to do out in Utah? Temple Square, Zions National Park, Park City, Moab. East coast: history. West coast: national parks.
My hand is cramping as I hastly record my thoughts of this day. Gratitude, humility, wonder, love. Codys wide-eyed wonder of these places opens my eyes to the things I take for granted: a raven circling at just over 14,000 feet, our trains diesel engines, the marmots darting from their rock shelters to investigate us. Some passengers are falling asleep. I fight my own drowsiness to look at my fellow train-mates. An oriental family with a son and daughter. The sons ipod resting carefully on his lap and his eyelids drooping as he nods to the beat. The daughter texting with her slim cell phone. A newlywed couple sits a few rows back, stroking each others hand and looking longingly out the window. His hand reaches up to brush some hair away from her eyes and she turns to kiss his cheek in thanks. His eyes linger on her face as she turns back to the window and I can just feel the warmth of his smile. So much love and hope in this beginning. I look to my left at my own sweetheart. His attention is on the GPS on his phone, but when I touch his hand he puts the phone away to hold it. We've talked so much on this trip, words aren't necessary at this moment. I love you. You're beautiful. I'm having so much fun. I'm so glad I came here with you.

It may be wishful thinking...but I will never take my sight for granted again.

1 comment:

  1. I think we should get together for lunch sometime-I miss my cousins! I still can't believe Tiff has a baby!!!

    ReplyDelete