Wednesday, September 7, 2011

too soon?

I read this over at My So-Called Chaos and I figured I should update my blog with something other than my rants.. SO!

1. What is your favorite holiday?
I would say it's a toss-up between Halloween and Christmas. I remember when I was growing up, my little brother and I would plan our costumes over Summer vacation (it usually changed three or eight times before the actual day, but we were kids..) and it was just so much fun. I didn't stop trick-or-treating until my first year of college (I was 18 at this point). But if you enjoy candy as much as I do (especially FREE candy) and you were as small and I am, you'd do it too! Halloween has always been filled with candy, friends, and bonding with my little brother. Christmas is also my favorite because I love gifts! And more candy! And I love giving to my loved ones.


A good mix of Christmas AND Halloween, wouldn't you say?

2. Do you have any fun Holiday traditions?
Yes! Opening a small gift on Christmas Eve was a common one with us. When we were younger, it was usually a toy of some kind, but we got pj's as well. That night, we would always watch the Savior's birth, and then put out a few cookies and milk for Santa. When we had grown a little more (when I was in Jr. High, I believe), we started having a candlelit dinner with fish, bread, and cheeses. I know that there were probably inaccuracies in our assumptions of the foods eaten in the old days, but it was such an intimate and yummy meal with the family. We still do this one, but not every year. When kids grow up and get married, things change. We would also pick the spot where we wanted Santa to leave our gifts by putting our stockings in that place. I always tried to get a couch spot. Then we would all go downstairs together in the morning to see what we had been given. My little brother and I would always sleep in the same room the night before because we knew we wouldn't be able to sleep.. The ANTICIPATION!!

I remember one thing my little brother and I used to do every Halloween was (weather permitting) gathering all of our candy and getting on the trampoline in the back yard and dividing/sorting everything into their groups.



3. When do you start Christmas shopping?
For the longest time, I always felt like I was rushing to do my shopping because I always waited until after Thanksgiving.. Now I have it figured out! I try to remember all year, but especially around this time, I start to focus on certain people in my life and try to find things for them. That way, if I find a book on sale for my dad around General Conference time, I just get it and then wrap it later. My sister-in-law Heidi has the funniest mom, and she inspired me to start doing this. Whenever I've come to visit them on Christmas morning, I find that they've unwrapped all the most random gifts, and I found out that she just thrifts for everyone all the time. She finds the most amazing things and I would love to be famous for that with my family. It's so much thought and I think they appreciate it. Also, that way I can get stuff online and not have to worry that it won't make it in time! >>

4. What is your favorite Holiday food?

Egg nog! AND Pomegranate! My parents always have a good stock of both, thank heavens, and I just LOVE it!




5. Share a favorite childhood holiday memory..
Another Christmas tradition I forgot to mention is that every Christmas morning, we all come down together to look at the gifts. Then we got dressed while my mother made breakfast (waffles, eggs, bacon, etc.) and then we ate. After everyone had their fill, we all gathered around the tree to open the family gifts. I loved getting new toys and clothes, but my favorite part of Christmas is, by far, seeing my family open their gifts. I just love my friends and family so much, watching them open a present from me or someone else is just so magical.




6. Have you ever actually tried fruitcake?
I think have tried the homemade kind, which was pretty tasty! I've heard the store-bought kind is yucky, so I'm going to hold off on eating that anytime soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment